Grain storage is a stage, on the correctness of which the main properties of the grain crop and the duration of its storage depend. It is possible to ensure the safety of grain only on elevators. The storage facility maintains the necessary conditions for the grain crop, contributing to the preservation of the quantity and quality of products.
On average, grain can be stored in the elevator for six months. Among the elevator services, storage accounts for 50%, shipments about 34%, drying – 6%. The smallest indicator is the receipt of grain from railway transport – 5%.
Due to the export orientation in the grain segment, the elevator capacities are concentrated in the southern and central parts of Ukraine.
The following factors influence the elevator market:
- the seasonality of the operation of elevators directly depends on the periods and pace of work of domestic enterprises of the agricultural complex – the sowing period and the harvesting campaign;
- an increase in foreign trade indicators leads to the emergence of demand for elevator services and vice versa;
- weather and climatic conditions, which differ from year to year and have a direct impact on the quality and volume of the crop;
- development of logistics infrastructure, allows to optimize and accelerates the transportation of grain.
The cost of storing grain in elevators
First of all, the cost of grain storage depends on the volume of products and the need for additional services. Acceptance of grain is carried out carefully and taking into account the technical regulations that provide for such work.
Benefits of storing grain in an elevator
Modern elevators are not just a place for storing grain, but a whole complex that must meet the following criteria:
- fully automated;
- keeps track of products upon arrival at the elevator;
- has the ability to dry large batches of grain crops with a high level of moisture;
- possesses all the necessary equipment for post-harvest processing, from cleaning to drying;
- allows you to store separate lots of grain;
- guarantees the safety of raw materials during storage and has the ability to quickly eliminate threats such as the spread of fungus or the outbreak of other pests;
- can quickly load and transport products by road and rail;
- works on energy-saving equipment.
Elevator services attract small and medium-sized farm owners due to their transparency. If 5-6 years ago there was a situation when 300 tons of products were imported, and as a result they received 30 tons, then today this will not happen. The market is rapidly civilizing, and this is one of the characteristic symptoms of the qualitative development of the industry.
Grain storage rules
The elevators are fully equipped, taking into account all the technical requirements of granaries, this allows us to give a guarantee for the safety of grain raw materials. The rules are also observed with regards to the acceptance, storage, unloading and transfer of grain for further transportation.
All this allows you to preserve the grain for a long period and all its quality characteristics.
What are the ways to store grain in elevators?
For long-term preservation, bulk storage at reception, cleaning and sorting points can be considered most effective. When using this method, a dry folding method is used, the products are simply poured into heaps. The method has many advantages, including:
- the ability to apply more effective pest control methods;
- you can save money on packaging;
- all conveniences for loading, unloading and transportation are created;
- the ability to monitor the state of grain masses in a convenient way.
How to choose the right elevator for your tasks?
The majority of domestic producers of agricultural products, even in high-yield years, do not plan to build their own elevators. The cost of erecting silos ranges from $150 to $250 per ton. In other words, it will be necessary to invest from 3 to 5 million dollars in one equipment with a capacity of up to 20 thousand tons. Do not forget about the payment for design work and the construction itself. The minimum payback period is 4-5 years, provided that not only the farmer’s products will be stored in it.
Considering all these facts, many producers decide to cooperate with commercial grain storage facilities for the season. In this case, you can provide yourself with quality enterprise services.
G.R.Agro is a company that provides a whole range of services for the storage of grain crops, the structure of which includes five elevators with a total storage capacity of 258 thousand tons with the possibility of route dispatches.
The company’s assets include linear elevators, which fall into two categories: those that store their own grain products and those that work with depositor.
Agricultural producers can use the following services:
- improvement of the commodity condition;
- improving the quality of grain and so on.
All that is required from the farmer is to bring and pour the grain crop to our elevator with the provision of the appropriate package of documents.
Tariffs for services are calculated individually and are spelled out in the advantages of storing grain at G.R.Agro:
- loyal prices for all elevator services for receiving, drying, cleaning, storing and shipping goods;
- the presence of a loyalty program for agricultural producers;
- fast acceptance of goods;
- over the years the reputation of a partner for the safe storage of depositor products at elevators;
- enabling the sale of goods on the elevators G.R.Agro to multinational companies and agricultural processors;
- providing a full sales cycle “from field to port” on EXW, FCA, CPT, DAT, DAP, FOB terms.